St. Hugh middle school teachers are committed to ensuring a caring, orderly, and academically challenging environment for students. We work as a team to provide high expectations and exceptional instructional leadership. Although each grade level has a homeroom, students rotate daily through the upper school classrooms for instruction in the primary courses: Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, and Social Studies. We regularly monitor student progress and strive to develop excellent home-school relations.
Eighth grade at St. Hugh’s is an exciting year. It is filled with special events and responsibilities unique to this grade such as: the reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation, Catholic high school investigations and selections, the King’s Dominion class trip, a graduation luncheon hosted by the school staff, and finally a ceremony to celebrate the successful completion of the challenging curriculum here at St. Hugh School.
Below are 1st quarter goals for Upper School Mathematics by grade level. Concepts may either be introduced or further developed as we go through this quarter. Topics are arranged by the standards. All grades will continuously receive instruction on problem-solving strategies.
6th Grade - Should complete the first 30 lessons, including 3 investigations/projects.
- Number sense: Basic arithmetic operations with whole numbers and money, fact families, the number line, ordering & comparing, negative numbers, place value thru’ trillions, rounding whole numbers, fractions & mixed numbers, estimating,
- Computation: Order of operations, fractional parts, factors, prime numbers, G.C.F., divisibility, ratio, rate, add & subtract fractions that have different denominators, Write division answers as mixed numbers, add & subtract mixed numbers, multiplying fractions, reducing fractions, L.C.M., Reciprocals,
- Algebra & Functions: Solving for unknown numbers in the 4 operations, sequences, problems about combining & separating, multi-step problems, problems about comparing, elapsed time, equal groups, equal group problems with fractions,
- Geometry: Basic geometric figures, measures of a circle, angles, measuring & drawing angles with a protractor.
- Measurement: linear measure, perimeter, scales,
- Data Analysis & Probability: Frequency tables, histograms, surveys, average, line graphs,
- Problem-Solving: Understand the 4-step problem solving plan, use different strategies, be able to justify a method, representation, connections & communication skills, use manipulatives to reduce fractions,
7th Grade – Should complete the first 30 lessons, including 3 investigations/projects.
- Number sense: Arithmetic with whole numbers & money, number line, Place value through hundred trillions, reading & writing whole numbers, fractions and percents, rounding whole numbers & mixed numbers, estimating answers,
- Computation: Factors, divisibility, add subtract multiply fractions, reciprocals, write division answers as mixed numbers, improper fractions, equivalent fractions, reducing fractions, square root, prime & composite numbers, prime factorization, , subtracting mixed numbers with regrouping, dividing fractions, multiplying and dividing mixed numbers, multiples, L.C.M., add and subtract fractions with different denominators
- Algebra & Functions: Variables and Evaluation, properties of operations, unknown numbers in the 4 operations, sequences, problems about combining, separating & comparing, elapsed time problems, problems about equal groups and parts of a whole, function tables, equivalent division problems, problems about the fraction of a group, 2-step word problems,
- Geometry: Basic Geometric figures, measure angles with a protractor, polygons, similar & congruent, rectangular area, use a compass & straightedge, coordinate plane,
- Measurement: Inch ruler, U.S. Customary system,
- Data Analysis & Probability: Simple probability, average,
- Problem-Solving: Understand the 4-step problem solving plan, use different strategies, be able to justify a method, representation, connections & communication skills, Fractions & Percents with manipulatives,
8th Grade - Should complete the first 30 lessons, including 3 investigations/projects.
- Number sense: Number line-comparing and ordering integers, rational numbers; percents; decimal numbers; powers and roots; irrational numbers; rounding and estimating;
- Computation: Operations of arithmetic; addition, subtraction, multiplication, division word problems; fractional parts; prime numbers; equivalent fractions; adding, subtracting fractions & mixed numbers; distributive property; order of operations; multiplying and dividing fractions and mixed numbers; add, subtract, multiply and divide decimal numbers; Laws of Exponents; scientific notation for large numbers; ratio, repeating decimals
- Algebra & Functions: Collecting like terms; evaluation; solving equations by inspection;
- Geometry: The coordinate plane; lines and angles; polygons; triangles; Pythagorean Theorem; transformations; classifying quadrilaterals.
- Measurement: Converting measures; perimeter and area;
- Data Analysis & Probability: Rates & Average, measures of central tendency,
- Problem Solving: Understand the 4-step problem solving plan, use different strategies, be able to justify a method, representation, connections & communication skills,
Algebra 1 - Should complete the first 30 lessons, including 3 investigations/projects.
- Operations with Real Numbers/Algebra foundations: Classifying Real numbers; understand variables and expressions; simplifying expressions using the product property of exponents; using order of operations; finding absolute value and adding real numbers; subtracting real numbers; simplifying and comparing expressions with symbols of inclusion; convert measures using unit analysis, evaluating and comparing algebraic expressions; multiplying & dividing real numbers; use the properties of real numbers to simplify expressions; calculate and compare square roots; simplify and evaluate algebraic expressions; use the Distributive Property; Translate between words and algebraic expressions;
- Linear Equations and Inequalities: Combine like terms; solve one-step equations(use algebra tiles to model); solve 2-step equations; Solve decimal equations; solve multi-step equations; solve equations with variables on both sides(model with manipulatives); solve literal equations
- Relations and Functions: Graphing on a coordinate plane; differentiate between relations and functions; graphing functions
- Graphing Linear Equations and Inequalities: Graphing relationships;
- Pairs(Systems) of Linear Equations and Inequalities: Solve literal equations
- Algebraic Fractions:
- Quadratic, Cubic, and Radical Equations:
- Mathematical Reasoning and Problem-solving: Understand the 4-step problem solving plan, use different strategies, be able to justify a method, representation, connections & communication skills, generating random numbers; conduct experiments to find the probability of an event; find theoretical probability; Analyze and compare statistical graphs; identify misleading representations of data; Analyze the effects of bias in sampling, surveys, and bar graphs.
+ View the Academic Standards for Eighth Grade (PDF)